Thursday, November 09, 2006

Super Powers: Aquaman

In 1984 Kenner Toys put out the Super Power line, a group of action figures based on the great characters of DC Comics. It wasn't until a year later when I found a copy of Super Powers #1 (the second series drawn by the late, great Jack Kirby) that I realized there was a toy line too. Their ads were on the back of every DC Comic that summer. The novelty of these action-figures that they weren't just figures that stood there and did nothing. These had "super-powers" that would present themselves when you squeezed the figure's legs or arms together. Superman punched. Green Lantern raised to his arm to aim his power ring at you. Aquaman made swimming movements!

Each character figure came with his (or her, in the case of Wonder Woman) mini-comic book.

On each package there was a collector card that you, if you were a dumb kid and not some hardcore, nerdy collector, would cut out and read. Look at this great artwork!!!

Some facts about Aquaman!

I couldn't believe how lucky I was to have an action-figure of my favorite hero and character. My little Aquaman kind of became a little plastic idol for me. How devout I felt! It's weird though, I can barely remember getting him. My memory is hazy, I vaguely recall getting him at some drugstore in some other town miles from home. Must...wrack...brain...

No comments: